Colour Switcher:

Font Resizer:


Nottingham Community Housing Association is committed to providing high quality services in all aspects of its work

NCHA Care and Support strives to deliver excellent service at all times.

We want to make it as easy as possible for you to give us feedback.

How to give us feedback

We have a Complaints procedure for dealing with formal complaints and a Praise or Grumble scheme for informal feedback. (Our complaints leaflet is also available in easy read)

You can give feedback by telephone, through this web site, by calling in to see us or writing a letter. Any member of staff can take your feedback. Other people such as friends or relatives can also do this on your behalf.

Your feedback could be:
  • You are unhappy about the way you have been treated by us 
  • You like the support you have been given 
  • You asked for something, it hasn’t been done and you were told it would be 
  • You are pleased staff have helped you apply to college 
  • Anything you want to tell us about our services 
  • A complaint
Who can give feedback?

Any people or groups who use or are affected by our services, this can include:

  • Service Users 
  • Relatives 
  • Neighbours 
  • Agent Groups 
  • Stakeholders 
  • Professionals (e.g. Social Services / NHS etc)
When you give feedback

We need to know:

  • Your name and address 
  • Contact telephone number 
  • What your feedback is 
  • What you would like to happen

Your feedback will then go to the appropriate manager. We will aim to let you know what is going to happen.

Our Customer Feedback leaflet called 'Complaints' gives more details of what will happen if your feedback is a complaint and what you can do if you are not happy with the outcome.

We want to hear from you - we are always trying to improve what we do!

Contact us:

In writing at:
NCHA Care and Support
12-14 Pelham Road 

On our Web Site
You can fill in a form on the Contact Us page or click on the 'Live Chat' button on the top of the page.

By Email

Call us Free! 
0333 0000 321 

Or talk to any member of staff!

Toggle Point Symbols